Survivor Stories

loyalls amputated foot

Cancer Survivor Posts Amputated Foot on Instagram for Cancer Awareness

Meet Kristi Loyall. She's becoming quite the Instagram star for something completely out of the ordinary.—She's not simply posting cool pics of her cute dog, or "kissy face" selfies. In 2015, Loyall had numbness in her right pinky toe. Soon she developed pain, and then a lump. Doctors originally told her that the lump on her foot was probably just a fatty tumor known as a lipoma. Before surgery, doctors explained there was a 1 in 100,000 chance that the tumor was [...]

dumb things said to me as a cancer patient

Some Hilariously Dumb Things Said to Me as a Cancer Patient

// Below is a list of funny things I've heard over the years as a result of having cancer. None of these were crushing blows that impacted my life, and most people didn't mean any harm. Many times people just don't know what they are saying. Believe me, I've said my fair share of goofy comments over the years and will continue to do so. Enjoy and comment with your experiences. Ryan 1. "Nice haircut... you look like a cancer patient." This was [...]

Cancer Treatment: Follow Your Heart, Literally

Cancer, when you beat it, everything is over and you are free to return to your regularly scheduled life, without interruption.—Yeah. My first bout with Hodgkin's lymphoma was at age 5, followed by occurrences at ages 9, 11 and 21 when I finally received a bone marrow transplant. I had "beaten" cancer, sort of. So why do I say I had beaten cancer, "sort of?" Well I was cancer-free, yes, but I wasn't free from the effects of the treatments it took to [...]

12 year old leukemia survivor gets to blow something up

12 Year Old Leukemia Survivor Gets the Chance to ‘Blow Something Up’

I remember when I was 9 and had cancer, Dreams Come True called me at home. They wanted to tell me that they had received my request for a bike. I was thrilled to say the least. My whole family got into our little minivan and drove to Mike's Bikes. It was there that the owner, Mike, hooked me up with the bike of my choice. Think getting a bike is cool, well it is.—But what about having the opportunity to blow [...]

a storybook for young children with cancer

An Educational Storybook for Children with Cancer

I was once myself a young kid with cancer. Now well, I'm just a kid. I first experienced cancer at the age of 5 and met many other kids going through the same things as me.—And we all seemed to have the same questions. Do you lose your hair? Do radiation treatments hurt?... Do you like blue play dough? Well back in 1998, while undergoing a bone marrow transplant at Emory in Atlanta, GA, I had this crazy idea that I [...]

There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta

Hey folks, its Ryan. I'm excited to tell you that I'm working on my book. Yep, a real-deal, full-length book. Now, there is no telling how long it will take me to finish. However I'm shooting for spring of next year. Anyway, I just wanted to share a bit from one of the chapters entitled, "There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta". I hope you like it. Thanks for reading! Ryan There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta The treatment of my cancer involved many [...]

children who undergo cancer treatment may face challenges later

Children Who Undergo Cancer Treatment May Face Challenges Later

For many children with childhood cancer, the battle doesn't just stop when treatment does. Research suggests that those who undergo treatment for cancer as a child often have long-term side effects that show up years later as an adult. Problems like memory loss, heart disease, lung disorders, etc.—And this can be frustrating. Cancer survivors don't want to come off as "whiners", but the issues are real. Survivors need people to understand. This includes family, friends and people at work. "We are doing [...]

4-Time Cancer Survivor Suggests 9 Tips To Help People Through Cancer

// In January of 2015, I had been in and out of the hospital. After I got out, I couldn't do much, so I wrote a 9-page eBook with 9 tips that helped me with surviving cancer. I then put it on Amazon.com. The eBook was called, "How to Survive and Thrive". I didn't write the eBook to say, "Hey, look at what I can do."—Because there are lots of other people who have been through a heck [...]

cancer survivor 2survive

My Survivor Story by Brittany Avin

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I had grown up with a fear that I would get cancer. I knew I had a killer family history, with numerous women diagnosed on both sides of my family, and my grandfather dying of cancer. It was something I always saw as a part of my life. - But cancer was something people got late in life. Everyone I knew who had cancer was in their forties or fifties, and besides, I was an athletic [...]

You’re Well! – Now Protect Your Health from Potential Long-Term Side Effects of Treatment

Okay, you've had your chemotherapy and you're done! Awesome! Say you are a Hodgkin's lymphoma survivor like me and you underwent ABVD chemotherapy. The good thing is that it cured your cancer. The not-so-good thing might be, because of ABVD, you are now infertile, have respiratory issues, cardiac issues or have had or are now at a greater risk of secondary types of cancer. And let me stop right here and say, if you aren't having any of these [...]