Plain Cool!

loyalls amputated foot

Cancer Survivor Posts Amputated Foot on Instagram for Cancer Awareness

Meet Kristi Loyall. She's becoming quite the Instagram star for something completely out of the ordinary.—She's not simply posting cool pics of her cute dog, or "kissy face" selfies. In 2015, Loyall had numbness in her right pinky toe. Soon she developed pain, and then a lump. Doctors originally told her that the lump on her foot was probably just a fatty tumor known as a lipoma. Before surgery, doctors explained there was a 1 in 100,000 chance that the tumor was [...]

can aging be reversed

Can Aging Be Reversed?

You know the drill, a gray hair pops up, a new one or ten a few days later. Then what about that one weird eyebrow hair that is so long it hangs a little into your eyes? These are just a few of the wonderful surprises that come with aging. Wouldn’t it just be nice if we could stop or reverse aging? It’s not just your forehead, eyes and hair that age over time, it’s your body’s actual cells. DNA [...]

cold cap helps breast cancer patients keep hair

Cold Cap Helps Breast Cancer Patients Keep Hair

A recent clinical trial to reduce hair loss in breast cancer patients being treated with chemotherapy is showing positive results. The cap is worn for thirty minutes during treatment and then for 1 hour after treatment. Wearing the cold cap brings the temperature of the scalp down to 24 degrees Fahrenheit and reduces blood flow to the scalp during chemotherapy. The study found that just over half of women who used a cold cap during chemotherapy treatment kept their hair although [...]

12 year old leukemia survivor gets to blow something up

12 Year Old Leukemia Survivor Gets the Chance to ‘Blow Something Up’

I remember when I was 9 and had cancer, Dreams Come True called me at home. They wanted to tell me that they had received my request for a bike. I was thrilled to say the least. My whole family got into our little minivan and drove to Mike's Bikes. It was there that the owner, Mike, hooked me up with the bike of my choice. Think getting a bike is cool, well it is.—But what about having the opportunity to blow [...]

Furniture is Helping Cancer Patients During Treatment

Ever sat in an uncomfortable chair all day at work, in a meeting or on a flight? Furniture and comfort can undoubtedly make a unpleasant situation worse. German designer Gitta Gschwendtner has hopes that her new furniture designs will impact those going through cancer treatment. Her furniture includes brightly colored chairs built into mesh structures along with wooden tables. Her new designs were created for Guy’s Hospital in London which just recently opened. “A large body of evidence suggests that art can [...]

study shows cancer should be punched in the face

Study Shows Cancer Should be Punched in the Damn Face

Cancer—everyone knows someone that has been touched by this terrible disease. It often creeps up on unsuspecting good people and causes them to put their lives on hold for treatment, or even worse... it ends their lives.—And that makes a lot of people angry, and with good reason. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Recently a study was conducted at the university of, oh I forget (chemo brain), but that’s not important. However, what the study found was worth noting. "I've seen cancer [...]

a storybook for young children with cancer

An Educational Storybook for Children with Cancer

I was once myself a young kid with cancer. Now well, I'm just a kid. I first experienced cancer at the age of 5 and met many other kids going through the same things as me.—And we all seemed to have the same questions. Do you lose your hair? Do radiation treatments hurt?... Do you like blue play dough? Well back in 1998, while undergoing a bone marrow transplant at Emory in Atlanta, GA, I had this crazy idea that I [...]

making money to pay bills when you have cancer

How to Make Money When You Can’t Work Because of Cancer

Cancer can change a lot of things in your life. – Your health of course, your mood, where you can and can’t go – And unfortunately your bank account because of not being able to work and those ugly medical bills. If you can’t work because of something cancer related, cancer treatment or recovering from cancer treatment, there are several ways to earn money to help pay your bills. You can earn money working a schedule that fits your needs. Simply [...]

There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta

Hey folks, its Ryan. I'm excited to tell you that I'm working on my book. Yep, a real-deal, full-length book. Now, there is no telling how long it will take me to finish. However I'm shooting for spring of next year. Anyway, I just wanted to share a bit from one of the chapters entitled, "There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta". I hope you like it. Thanks for reading! Ryan There and Back: The Trips to Atlanta The treatment of my cancer involved many [...]

4-Time Cancer Survivor Suggests 9 Tips To Help People Through Cancer

// In January of 2015, I had been in and out of the hospital. After I got out, I couldn't do much, so I wrote a 9-page eBook with 9 tips that helped me with surviving cancer. I then put it on Amazon.com. The eBook was called, "How to Survive and Thrive". I didn't write the eBook to say, "Hey, look at what I can do."—Because there are lots of other people who have been through a heck [...]