Coping with Cancer

loyalls amputated foot

Cancer Survivor Posts Amputated Foot on Instagram for Cancer Awareness

Meet Kristi Loyall. She's becoming quite the Instagram star for something completely out of the ordinary.—She's not simply posting cool pics of her cute dog, or "kissy face" selfies. In 2015, Loyall had numbness in her right pinky toe. Soon she developed pain, and then a lump. Doctors originally told her that the lump on her foot was probably just a fatty tumor known as a lipoma. Before surgery, doctors explained there was a 1 in 100,000 chance that the tumor was [...]

obamacare is not affordable for cancer patients

How Much Does it Cost to Get an Obamacare Affordable Health Care Plan

How much does it cost to get an Obamacare affordable health care plan? Good question. The best answer is, "it depends." And another good question is, "Is it really 'health care?'" If you'll notice, how could you not, people are passionately for or against Obamacare. However, I want to show you real life.—My real life, and why "coverage" does not always equal "health care," as representative Kevin Brady put it. (Read more here in my article about the rising costs of Obamacare.) I [...]

Cancer Treatment: Follow Your Heart, Literally

Cancer, when you beat it, everything is over and you are free to return to your regularly scheduled life, without interruption.—Yeah. My first bout with Hodgkin's lymphoma was at age 5, followed by occurrences at ages 9, 11 and 21 when I finally received a bone marrow transplant. I had "beaten" cancer, sort of. So why do I say I had beaten cancer, "sort of?" Well I was cancer-free, yes, but I wasn't free from the effects of the treatments it took to [...]

being in shape when you are sick

According to Some Docs, This One Thing is How I Survived it All

If you are a survivor of anything serious or out of the ordinary, you’ve probably been asked how you got through it, how you dealt with it or what was it like? “Man, how did you escape those reptilians?” A lot of times when people ask me how I got through having cancer 4 times (or escaped the reptilians), etc. etc., my reply is always, “Well I’ve never had to go to a third world country and have people shoot [...]

cold cap helps breast cancer patients keep hair

Cold Cap Helps Breast Cancer Patients Keep Hair

A recent clinical trial to reduce hair loss in breast cancer patients being treated with chemotherapy is showing positive results. The cap is worn for thirty minutes during treatment and then for 1 hour after treatment. Wearing the cold cap brings the temperature of the scalp down to 24 degrees Fahrenheit and reduces blood flow to the scalp during chemotherapy. The study found that just over half of women who used a cold cap during chemotherapy treatment kept their hair although [...]

pills

Drug Option for Cancer Patients with Anxiety Will Have You Seeing Things

In 1997 I started chemotherapy for my fourth recurrence of Hodgkins Lymphoma and I was prescribed the drug Marinol for nausea and appetite. It made one hell of a difference. My last chemo treatment had been in 1988 and "one simply did not have chemo and not vomit." You see, my problem had always been vomit. Get treatment, vomit. Repeat. (Read more about it in this article.) However, Marinol, which is a man-made form of cannabis changed all of that. While on the medication I [...]

dr farid fata misdiagnosed patients with cancer

Getting Chemo for the Cancer You Don’t Have

Imagine you've just been diagnosed with cancer. Some of you reading this may not have to imagine. What if it turned out months after treatment that you were in fact misdiagnosed? Cool, the good news is that you don't have cancer. The bad news is that you probably just went through some very nasty treatment for the cancer you didn't have. Now imagine your doctor intentionally misdiagnosed you for money. Dr. Farid Fatt, now serving 45 years in prison, knowingly [...]

Furniture is Helping Cancer Patients During Treatment

Ever sat in an uncomfortable chair all day at work, in a meeting or on a flight? Furniture and comfort can undoubtedly make a unpleasant situation worse. German designer Gitta Gschwendtner has hopes that her new furniture designs will impact those going through cancer treatment. Her furniture includes brightly colored chairs built into mesh structures along with wooden tables. Her new designs were created for Guy’s Hospital in London which just recently opened. “A large body of evidence suggests that art can [...]

study shows cancer should be punched in the face

Study Shows Cancer Should be Punched in the Damn Face

Cancer—everyone knows someone that has been touched by this terrible disease. It often creeps up on unsuspecting good people and causes them to put their lives on hold for treatment, or even worse... it ends their lives.—And that makes a lot of people angry, and with good reason. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Recently a study was conducted at the university of, oh I forget (chemo brain), but that’s not important. However, what the study found was worth noting. "I've seen cancer [...]

hypothyroidism from cancer treatment

Hypothyroidism from Cancer Treatment

Hypothyroidism from Cancer Treatment So let’s put this whole hypothyroidism from cancer treatment into layman’s terms. If possible. When treating certain types of cancer like lymphoma, that nasty stuff, sometimes a patient may have to undergo radiation treatment to the neck. This is even more nasty stuff. Also patients who are diagnosed with thyroid cancer may have to have a portion or all of their thyroid gland removed. Surgery for thyroid cancer and radiation to the neck can often lead to hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism simply [...]